Friday 27 February 2009

Durham Main Event - FREE - Reflections

Looking back on the main event week in Durham I was thinking about a few things.
As I already mentioned in an earlier post I was struck once again that it is only when God opens blind eyes that people see the truth and put their trust in Jesus. But, I also observed and encountered some other things too.

1. Many people have very inconsistent worldviews and don't realise.
While out doing cold contact questionnaires on mornings before lunchbars it was interesting to hear people's ideas and opinions on questions ranging from "what is your greatest fear for the future?" "What do you think makes a person a Christian?" "What do you think happens when you die?" Those who stopped to participate were keen to voice their thoughts but many would answer one question and two questions later say something that contradicted what they had previous said. People who thought there was no God but were hoping for an afterlife. Or those who would call themselves Christians but then when asked what a Christian was gave a definition that didnt fit with beliefs they had said they held to. That kind of thing. An important lesson for us then is to make sure we know our worldview and we know how Jesus affects all we do. We also need to continue to develop our understanding of and ability to deconstruct the inconsistent worldviews of others.

2. The Parable of the Sower is seen in life regularly.
During the week we heard of a girl who seemed very keen to come to all the events and her Christian friend was really excited. But the next morning the girl came her and said she didnt want to talk about it anymore and didnt want to be invited to anything else. I guess she was kind of a cross between the seed on the path and the seed that is choked. Others came to events had their questions answered but they were still not stepping up to the plate and follwing. I also saw a guy who had become had made a profession of faith a few years ago when I was leading a table at a follow up course but is now not walking with the Lord. Only God knows His heart, but he may be an example of seed falling on rocky or thorny ground too. And we did also see seed fall on good soil, which we trust in the Lord's providence will go on to bear great fruit. Praise God!

3. We still fear man in our evangelism.
To my shame I saw that I still fear man sometimes when it comes to evangelism. For this I ask forgiveness from God. I know His power is at work in me changing me and that He is a sovereign God, He works thorugh me, but also inspite of my failings. I pray I learn a lesson and God gives me greater boldness. This was also evidentin students too in some fear to invite friends to events or sometimes reluctance to have the gospel procliamed at small events.

In summary, I personally had a great week. The above is not at all meant to sound completely negative. It was great to be able to encourage some of the more timid CU members and I look forward to hearing from them in the future. Seeing and being part of such a fantastic team of CUGs was a joy. The students involved in all the organisation, presentation, set up and set down etc were exemplary. DICCU has many gospel-hearted students. By God's grace I pray they will continue to have a huge impact in the University and in the country as a whole as many of them graduate and go out into the workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment